Thursday, March 6, 2008

My Service Learning Ideas

For my 5 independent ideas I chose these:
1: Working at the Constitution Center
2: Working with the elderly
3: Cleaning up a park (Franklin Square)
4: Running for breast cancer
5: Doing some activities to help our school

For my 6 school wide ideas I chose these:
1: Our school could help the people at a retirement home
2: We could help some other organization make a mural
3: We could research way to get a mural for our school
4: Organize a marathon to help support the fight against cancer or other diseases except on a larger scale.
5: Hold a bake sale or some kind of dance and donate the money to someone needier than ourselves.
6: Help all the homeless people we constantly see on the streets

All of my ideas are just ones that I got off the top of my head, but i do feel strongly about the helping the homeless people I'm always seeing. I don't want to be rude but it's kind of nasty to have homeless people around our school. We don't want people to walk by our school and say how nice it is and then be asked by a bum "Do you have some spare change?". So I could contact a soup kitchen near our school and help out there and try to get the homeless guy and old lady on Market to go there.
Also I really would like to work with the elderly because I know how lonely they get and how much they appreciate the simplest amount of attention from young people. I could call the nursing home around my neighborhood and ask if I could volunteer.

No comments: