Monday, January 7, 2008

My NHD Topic

Street Racing

My NHD topic is street racing. I have decided to research and make a documentary about street racing, so I can show as many people as I can the dangers and thrills of street racing. Street racing is an illegal sport and very dangerous as well. As dangerous as street racing is it is still a way of life for the street racers. So how can we solve this problem without ruining the lives of these street racers? The conflicts are the deaths and injuries of street racing and my compromise are all the organizations and people working around the country to stop this epidemic.
My topic sounds like an excuse to look at cars and watch videos of racing, but it is not. I want to show how street racers survive off of racing. I also want to show the danger of the cars these street racers own. So with my two reasons I have found the perfect example of conflict and compromise.
I will now give a sneak preview of my NHD project. I will be interviewing members of the NHRA organization. They will tell us the ways they are trying to prevent street racing and how they have saved lives. The NHRA has opened tracks that are open to the public. Street racers are allowed to pay and enter these tracks and race all they want. Most of the tracks have parties, races and constant media. Naturally street racers want to come and show off their cars, so while they are showing off their cars that keeps them off the streets.
So the conflict is obvious. While there are people street racing and running around in cars with 500hp the streets will never be safe. When there are people out on the streets going 145 mph the streets are extremely dangerous. There have been over 125 deaths caused by street racing and over 2,000 injuries due to street racing.
Thank you for your time and I hope you will enjoy my documentary when it is complete.



Juliene Jimenez
3-4

No comments: