Monday, November 23, 2009

My NHD Topic

My NHD topic for this year's theme of, "Innovation In History", is The Eastern State Penitentiary. I will be doing a documentary,(as usual), along with Zach Kara, Talissa Riley and Veasna Huon. I have chosen to do this topic, because it was an innovation in the way we treat criminals and also an evolution from tortures to socially acceptable punishment. Without this prison many criminals would have been hanged, tarred and feathered, yank apart by horses, or just plain shot execution style. Another interesting fact about this prison is the amount of money that was put into it. It was the most expensive structure of its time and endorsed by many famous historical figures. There is enough history behind this prison to make a dynamic documentary and has many different type of media sources to go along with it. My team and I will actually be able to have expert interviews in the prison and take some stock footage for the documentary because it is so close to where we are.

No comments: